Airway Heights Corrections Center
Airway Heights Corrections Center, located in Airway Heights, Washington, has been serving as a leading mixed custody facility since its establishment in 1992. With a capacity to accommodate 2,258 male inmates across minimum, medium, and close custody levels, this institution aims to provide a secure environment that promotes rehabilitation and facilitates successful reintegration into society. Offering a diverse range of programs and vocational training opportunities, Airway Heights Corrections Center plays a vital role in preparing inmates for a brighter future.
Inmate Housing and Custody Levels
At Airway Heights Corrections Center, inmates are housed based on their custody levels, which include minimum, medium, and close custody. This classification ensures that individuals receive appropriate supervision and support according to their specific needs. By tailoring the custody levels, the facility can provide effective programs and services to address various offender types and challenges.
Rehabilitative Programs and Education
Airway Heights Corrections Center prioritizes the rehabilitation and personal development of its inmates. The facility offers a wide array of programs designed to equip offenders with essential life skills and prepare them for a successful reentry into society. These programs include:
- Adult Basic Education: Inmates have access to adult basic education classes, allowing them to enhance their literacy and numeracy skills. This foundational education empowers them to pursue further academic and vocational opportunities.
- English Second Language Courses: Airway Heights Corrections Center recognizes the importance of language proficiency in enabling successful reintegration. English second language courses help non-native speakers improve their communication skills and enhance their chances of securing employment upon release.
- GED Preparation: The facility encourages inmates to earn their General Educational Development (GED) diploma while incarcerated. By providing GED preparation classes and support, Airway Heights Corrections Center fosters academic achievement and helps inmates unlock future educational and career possibilities.
- Treatment Programs: Airway Heights offers specialized treatment programs to address various issues faced by inmates. These programs include substance abuse and chemical dependency treatment as well as sex offender treatment. By providing comprehensive support and counseling, the facility aims to address the root causes of criminal behavior and promote positive change.
- Life Skills Training: Inmates at Airway Heights Corrections Center participate in programs that focus on crucial life skills. These programs cover topics such as victim awareness, stress and anger management, and job search skills. By equipping inmates with these essential skills, the facility prepares them for a successful transition back into society.
Vocational Training Opportunities
Airway Heights Corrections Center believes in the power of vocational training to equip inmates with marketable skills that enhance their employment prospects. The facility offers a range of vocational training programs, including:
- Upholstery: Inmates can participate in upholstery classes, gaining practical skills in furniture repair and restoration. This vocational training equips them with valuable craftsmanship abilities.
- Aerospace Composites: Airway Heights provides classes in aerospace composites, allowing inmates to acquire specialized knowledge in this industry. This training enhances their employability in the aerospace sector.
- Maintenance: Inmates can learn maintenance skills, enabling them to perform essential repairs and upkeep tasks across various industries. This vocational training equips them with valuable trade skills.
- Computers: Recognizing the importance of digital literacy in the modern job market, Airway Heights Corrections Center offers computer classes. Inmates can develop their computer skills, enhancing their employment opportunities in a technology-driven world.
- Wildfire Suppression: The facility provides training in wildfire suppression, preparing inmates to assist in firefighting efforts. This program equips them with valuable skills and knowledge to combat wildfires and protect communities.
Additionally, Airway Heights Corrections Center offers opportunities for inmates to work in a bindery, serve as teacher’s aides, contribute to an optical lab, and serve and prepare food. Involvement in these areas further develops their skill set and fosters a sense of responsibility and self-worth.
Pawsitive Dogs: The Dog Adoption Program
Airway Heights Corrections Center operates an innovative dog adoption program known as Pawsitive Dogs. This program allows inmates to partner with adoptable dogs, taking responsibility for their training and preparation for adoption. By working with these dogs, inmates develop patience, empathy, and valuable animal handling skills. The program not only benefits the inmates but also contributes to the successful adoption and rehabilitation of the dogs.
Visiting Airway Heights Corrections Center
Airway Heights Corrections Center welcomes visitors who have an approved visitation application on file. To ensure a smooth visit, it is essential to contact the facility beforehand to confirm visitation details and any potential changes. Visitors should note the following information:
- Inmates can have up to four adult visitors per visit, with no limit on the number of approved minors.
- Regular visitation is canceled on August 15, 2015, for the Dad day event. It is crucial to stay informed about any other visitation schedule changes.
For comprehensive information on visitation, it is recommended to consult the Airway Heights Correctional Center visitors guidebook. The visitation schedule for different units at the facility is as follows:
Units K, L, and R at the main facility have visits on:
- Fridays and Sundays from 12 pm to 3:30 pm
- Saturdays and Mondays from 5 pm to 8:30 pm
Units M, N, and T at the main facility have visits on:
- Fridays and Sundays from 5 pm to 8:30 pm
- Saturdays and Mondays from 12 pm to 3:30 pm
C-2 at the Minimum Security Unit has visits on:
- Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 12:30 pm to 3:30 pm
- Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 5 pm to 8:30 pm
Infirmary inmates who are unable to attend regular visitation hours have visits on:
- Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays, and Mondays from 1 pm to 3 pm and from 6 pm to 8 pm
Physical Address: Airway Heights Corrections Center 11919 W. Sprague Avenue Airway Heights, WA 99001
Inmate Mailing Address: Inmate Name, ID Number Airway Heights Corrections Center P.O. Box 1899 Airway Heights, WA 99001-1899
As a leading correctional facility, Airway Heights Corrections Center stands committed to providing a comprehensive range of programs, vocational training, and support services to help inmates rebuild their lives and contribute positively to society. Through its dedication to rehabilitation, education, and skill development, Airway Heights Corrections Center plays a crucial role in fostering positive change and reducing recidivism rates among its inmate population.
Location and History
The Airway Heights Corrections Center is situated just west of Spokane, Washington. Established in 1992, it has seen a lot of changes over the years. It was designed with a primary focus on providing essential services to inmates to aid in their reformation process.
Facility and Capacity
The facility is equipped to house over 2000 inmates, primarily in medium security settings. The center is split into multiple units, each designed to accommodate different types of inmates based on their specific needs and risks.
Understanding the Daily Life at Airway Heights Corrections Center
Daily life inside the Airway Heights Corrections Center is structured and geared towards rehabilitation.
Inmates follow a strict daily schedule, which includes periods for meals, work, education, and recreational activities. Keeping inmates engaged helps maintain order and also provides a platform for personal growth and learning.
Education and Work Programs
The center offers various work programs, vocational training, and educational courses. These initiatives aim to equip inmates with valuable skills and education, preparing them for their eventual return to society.
Health Care Services
Airway Heights Corrections Center places a high emphasis on healthcare services. Inmates have access to medical, dental, and mental health services.
Security and Order at Airway Heights Corrections Center
Maintaining a secure environment is paramount in any correctional facility.
Levels of Security
The Center employs multiple layers of security, ensuring the safety of both the inmates and the staff. This includes constant surveillance, regular checks, and a well-trained security personnel.
Incident Management and Response
When incidents do occur, the center has protocols in place to manage and mitigate them swiftly. These may include lockdowns, inmate isolation, and investigative procedures.
Rehabilitation and Reentry Programs
A crucial part of the center’s philosophy is rehabilitation and preparation for reentry into society.
Through programs focusing on anger management, addiction treatment, and cognitive behavior therapy, the center aims to address the root causes of criminal behavior.
As inmates approach their release dates, they are assisted with reentry planning. This involves job training, life skills coaching, and community networking, to support a successful transition back into society.
Challenges and Controversies
Like any prison, Airway Heights Corrections Center has had its share of challenges and controversies.
Throughout its history, the center has had several notable incidents, ranging from minor infractions to more severe occurrences. These instances shed light on the complexities of managing a prison population.
Criticisms and Reforms
Critics argue that while the center does its best to rehabilitate inmates, more can be done. From calls for better living conditions to improved mental health services, these criticisms have led to several reforms over the years.
The Airway Heights Corrections Center, like any penal institution, plays a critical role in society. While its primary function is to ensure public safety by incarcerating those who have violated laws, it also has a crucial responsibility towards rehabilitating its inmates and preparing them for a successful reentry into society. Despite facing various challenges, it remains committed to achieving these goals.
- Where is the Airway Heights Corrections Center located? The Airway Heights Corrections Center is located west of Spokane, in Washington State, U.S.A.
- What type of security does the Airway Heights Corrections Center provide? The center provides a medium-security environment, employing multiple layers of security measures to ensure the safety of its inmates and staff.
- What types of programs does the Airway Heights Corrections Center offer to inmates? The center offers a wide range of programs, including vocational training, educational courses, and various rehabilitation programs focused on cognitive behavior therapy, anger management, and addiction treatment.
- How does the Airway Heights Corrections Center prepare inmates for reentry into society? The center assists inmates with reentry planning, which involves job training, life skills coaching, and community networking, to support a successful transition back into society.
- Has the Airway Heights Corrections Center faced any controversies or criticisms? Yes, like any prison, the center has faced criticisms over the years, from calls for better living conditions to improved mental health services. These criticisms have resulted in several reforms within the facility.