Unveiling Allenwood United States Penitentiary: A Secure Incarceration Facility
In the heart of Allenwood, Pennsylvania, lies a formidable fortress of justice known as the United States Penitentiary Allenwood, or USP Allenwood. This high-security facility, nestled in Union County, serves as a critical component of the nation’s corrections system. With its multiple layers of security, educational opportunities, and a commitment to inmate rehabilitation, USP Allenwood stands as a symbol of both protection and transformation.
The Fortified Walls
At USP Allenwood, security is paramount. The facility is encircled by imposing razor wire fences that serve as the first line of defense against escape attempts. These formidable barriers are complemented by armed guard towers that stand vigil 24/7, ensuring that the prison remains impervious to external threats. Additionally, state-of-the-art electronic detection systems and extensive video surveillance further bolster security measures, leaving no room for unauthorized access or misconduct.
USP Allenwood currently houses more than 870 male inmates, many of whom are deemed dangerous and prone to violent behavior. This diverse inmate population poses unique challenges that the facility staff and administrators work diligently to address.
The facility is divided into four housing units, each equipped with a first and second floor. Inmates are provided with dayrooms, where they can spend time outside their cells during designated hours. This recreational space contributes to the inmates’ overall well-being and helps reduce tension within the facility.
Inmate Employment Opportunities
USP Allenwood offers select inmates the opportunity to engage in meaningful work through various prison industries. This includes a UNICOR upholstery shop, where inmates can gain valuable skills and contribute to productive endeavors. Additional work details are available in maintenance, food services, and custodial duty, allowing inmates to acquire job skills that can serve them well upon release.
Education is viewed as a vital tool for rehabilitation at USP Allenwood. Inmates are encouraged to participate in a range of academic programs, including adult education, English as a second language (ESL), and General Educational Development (GED) courses. These programs empower inmates to improve their literacy and expand their horizons.
Beyond traditional academics, USP Allenwood offers vocational training in computer word processing and computer-assisted drafting (CAD). Completion of these courses results in valuable certifications that can enhance an inmate’s employment prospects upon reintegration into society.
Maintaining connections with loved ones is crucial for the rehabilitation process. To visit an inmate at USP Allenwood, you must be on the offender’s visitation list. Visiting hours are available on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 8 am to 3 pm. Additionally, visits are allowed on all federally recognized holidays during the same hours. Visitors should note that the processing of visitors into visitation stops at 2:15 pm, so it’s essential to arrive on time. Inmates are allocated nine visiting points per month, with specific deductions for visits on weekends and holidays. The maximum number of visitors per inmate is five, excluding children under two years old.
For those seeking to get in touch with USP Allenwood, here is the relevant contact information:
- Physical Address: Allenwood USP Route 15, 2 Miles North of Allenwood Allenwood, PA 17810
- Telephone: (570)-547-0963
- Inmate Mailing Address: Inmate Name, Register Number USP Allenwood U.S. Penitentiary P.O. Box 3000 White Deer, PA 17887
USP Allenwood, with its stringent security measures, commitment to education and vocational training, and a focus on maintaining family connections, strives to provide inmates with the tools they need to rebuild their lives and become productive members of society once more.
- Is USP Allenwood only for male inmates? Yes, USP Allenwood primarily houses male inmates.
- What is the purpose of the razor wire fences at USP Allenwood? The razor wire fences serve as a crucial security measure to prevent unauthorized access and escape attempts.
- Are inmates at USP Allenwood required to participate in educational programs? Participation in educational programs is encouraged but not mandatory. Inmates can choose to engage in these programs voluntarily.
- Can I visit an inmate without prior approval? No, visitors must be on the offender’s visitation list to gain access to USP Allenwood.
- How can I send mail to an inmate at USP Allenwood? You can send mail to the provided inmate mailing address, including the inmate’s name and register number for proper delivery.