Exploring the Brooklyn Detention Complex: A Detailed Overview
Welcome to the Brooklyn Detention Complex, a prominent correctional facility situated in Kings County, New York. This article aims to provide you with a comprehensive understanding of this facility, its operations, and essential visitor information. Join us as we delve into the intricacies of this vital institution that plays a crucial role in the criminal justice system.
Understanding the Brooklyn Detention Complex
The Brooklyn Detention Complex, often referred to as the BDC, is a correctional facility dedicated to housing adult males. With the capacity to accommodate up to 815 inmates, it serves as a significant part of the legal process in New York City. The primary purpose of this facility is to detain individuals who are awaiting trial for cases in both Staten Island and Brooklyn.
The Intake and Booking Process
Upon arrival at the Brooklyn Detention Complex, inmates undergo an essential procedure known as the intake and booking process. This initial step involves the recording of personal information, identification, and other relevant data. It is a critical part of ensuring the facility’s safety and the accurate tracking of inmates.
Visitation Policies and Procedures
Visiting an inmate at the Brooklyn Detention Complex is possible, but it’s essential to understand the facility’s visitation policies and procedures. Let’s break down the key details:
Visitation schedules at the BDC are determined by the first letter of the inmate’s last name. To find out which days you can visit, it’s recommended to check the current visiting schedule on the official website. However, please note that no visits are allowed on Mondays or Tuesdays.
- Wednesday and Thursday: Visitation registration is open between 1pm and 8pm, with visits lasting until 9pm.
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday: Visitation hours are from 8am to 4pm, and registration for visiting is available from 7am to 2pm.
Location and Contact Information
For those planning a visit, it’s crucial to know the physical address and contact details of the Brooklyn Detention Complex:
Physical Address: Brooklyn Detention Complex 275 Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11201
Mailing Address for Inmates
If you wish to correspond with an inmate at the BDC, it’s important to use the correct mailing address format:
Inmate Name, ID Number Brooklyn Detention Complex 275 Atlantic Avenue Brooklyn, NY 11201
The Brooklyn Detention Complex serves as a vital institution in the New York City correctional system. By understanding its functions, visitation policies, and contact information, you can navigate the process more effectively if you ever need to interact with this facility.
For more information or specific inquiries, please contact the Brooklyn Detention Complex directly using the provided telephone number. Remember that staying informed and following the established guidelines are crucial when dealing with correctional facilities.
- Can I visit an inmate at the Brooklyn Detention Complex without prior approval?
- No, all visits must be scheduled and approved in advance. Refer to the facility’s official website for details on visitation registration.
- What should I bring when visiting an inmate at the BDC?
- It’s advisable to carry a valid ID, and any items you wish to bring to the inmate should adhere to the facility’s guidelines.
- How can I send money to an inmate at the Brooklyn Detention Complex?
- To send money, you can use the approved methods outlined on the facility’s website or contact them directly for assistance.
- Are there any restrictions on the items I can send to an inmate by mail?
- Yes, there are restrictions. Make sure to review the facility’s guidelines for mailing items to inmates to avoid any issues.
- What happens during the intake and booking process at the BDC?
- During intake and booking, an inmate’s personal information is recorded, and they are assigned an identification number. This process helps ensure safety and accountability within the facility.