Exploring Fox Lake Correctional Institution: A Closer Look
In the heart of Dodge County, Wisconsin, lies the Fox Lake Correctional Institution, a medium-security prison that plays a pivotal role in the state’s corrections system. This article delves deep into Fox Lake Correctional Institution, uncovering its inner workings, facilities, educational programs, and much more.
- Getting Acquainted with Fox Lake Correctional InstitutionFox Lake Correctional Institution, often abbreviated as FLCI, is a medium-security prison situated in Dodge County, Wisconsin. It stands as a crucial component of the state’s correctional facilities.
- Capacity and Inmate PopulationAt present, Fox Lake Correctional Institution has an operational capacity to house 979 offenders, but it currently accommodates around 1,320 adult male inmates. This overcrowding necessitates creative solutions in terms of cell utilization.
- Housing UnitsThe facility comprises six housing units, each equipped with 96 single cells. To address the inmate population issue, 52 of these cells are designed for double occupancy. Additionally, Fox Lake Correctional Institution boasts two spacious dormitories to house inmates.
Educational and Vocational Programs
- Technical Training OpportunitiesFLCI places significant emphasis on rehabilitation through education. Inmates here have access to technical training in various fields, including automotive maintenance, cabinetmaking, millwork, computer drafting, horticulture, custodial services, machining, small engine technologies, welding, HVAC, and masonry.
- Education Beyond BarsIn addition to vocational training, the prison offers adult basic education and correspondence courses. Moreover, it provides re-entry and pre-release programs to equip inmates with the skills needed to reintegrate into society successfully.
- Supporting Inmate Well-beingFox Lake Correctional Institution takes a holistic approach to inmate care. It offers medical, dental, and psychological services to ensure the well-being of all inmates. The facility also provides treatment programs for issues such as domestic violence and alcohol/substance abuse.
Inmate Employment and Rehabilitation
- Badger State Prison Industries ProgramTo promote rehabilitation and skill development, Fox Lake Correctional Institution participates in the Badger State Prison Industries program. This initiative allows select inmates (about 40-50) to work in a wood/laminated furniture factory, producing products sold to state agencies. In return, offenders receive compensation ranging from $0.05 to $1.00 per hour, depending on their work assignment.
- Visiting HoursFor family and friends wishing to visit inmates at FLCI, it’s important to note that visits for general population inmates occur on Mondays through Fridays from 2:30 pm to 8:45 pm and on weekends and holidays from 8 am to 3:45 pm. Weekday visits can last up to three hours, while weekend visits are limited to two hours. Visitors should be aware that processing ceases 45 minutes before the end of visiting times. Additionally, each inmate can have up to six adult visitors per visiting session.
- Segregation VisitsInmates in segregation have non-contact visits available on weekdays from 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm and on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays from 8 am to 11 am.
- Physical AddressFox Lake Correctional Institution is located at: W10237 Lake Emily Road Fox Lake, WI 53933
- TelephoneYou can reach Fox Lake Correctional Institution at (920)-928-3151 for any inquiries or concerns.
- Inmate Mailing AddressTo send mail to an inmate at FLCI, please use the following format: Fox Lake Correctional Institution Inmate Name, DOC Number (Housing Unit) P.O. Box 200 Fox Lake, WI 53933-0200
- Sending Money OrdersIf you need to send a money order to an inmate, use the following address: Fox Lake Correctional Institution Inmate Name, DOC Number (Housing if known) P.O. Box 600 Fox Lake, WI 53933-0600
In conclusion, Fox Lake Correctional Institution serves as an essential element in Wisconsin’s corrections system, providing rehabilitation, education, and support services to its inmate population. Its commitment to inmate well-being and vocational training reflects a broader effort to prepare offenders for successful reintegration into society.
For more information about Fox Lake Correctional Institution and its visiting policies, you can refer to the Fox Lake Correctional Institution Visitors Guide.
- Is Fox Lake Correctional Institution open to public tours?No, Fox Lake Correctional Institution does not offer public tours for safety and security reasons.
- What is the average sentence length for inmates at FLCI?The length of sentences varies widely among inmates, making it difficult to determine an average.
- Are there any volunteer opportunities available at the prison?Yes, Fox Lake Correctional Institution does have volunteer programs in place. You can inquire about these programs through the institution’s administration.
- Can inmates receive packages from family and friends?Yes, inmates can receive packages, but there are strict guidelines and restrictions in place. It’s advisable to check with the prison administration for specific details.
- How does the prison handle emergencies or natural disasters?Fox Lake Correctional Institution has comprehensive emergency protocols in place to ensure the safety of both inmates and staff during emergencies or natural disasters. These protocols are regularly reviewed and updated to meet current standards.