Gloria McDonald Awaiting Trial Maximum and Medium Security Facility: A Closer Look
In the heart of Cranston, Rhode Island, lies the Gloria McDonald Correctional Facility, a unique institution dedicated to housing and rehabilitating female inmates. This article delves into the inner workings of Gloria McDonald, where 173 women find themselves either awaiting trial or classified as medium-security inmates. Join us on a journey to explore the facility’s mission, programs, and the life of its inmates.
Awaiting Trial and Medium Security Inmates
Gloria McDonald Correctional Facility serves as a temporary home for two distinct groups of female offenders: those awaiting trial and medium-security inmates. While both groups reside within its walls, they experience different security measures.
Maximum Security for Awaiting Trial
For individuals awaiting trial, security is paramount. At Gloria McDonald, they are housed in maximum-security settings, ensuring a controlled environment while their legal cases unfold. The facility’s commitment to safety and order is unwavering.
Gloria McDonald’s infrastructure comprises four housing units and a segregation unit. Each unit serves specific purposes, catering to the diverse needs of its inmate population. The segregation unit plays a crucial role in maintaining discipline and safety within the facility.
Education and Rehabilitation
Education and rehabilitation are core components of Gloria McDonald’s mission. Inmates here have access to various programs aimed at improving their prospects for a successful reintegration into society.
The facility offers a wide range of educational opportunities, including:
- Adult Basic Education Classes: These classes provide foundational education, ensuring that inmates have essential literacy and numeracy skills.
- GED and College Courses: Inmates can work towards obtaining their GED or pursue college courses to further their education.
- Computer Classes: In the digital age, computer literacy is crucial. Gloria McDonald provides computer classes to equip inmates with valuable skills.
Counseling and Support
In addition to education, the facility provides essential counseling and support services, such as:
- Substance Abuse Treatment: Recognizing the prevalence of substance abuse issues, Gloria McDonald offers programs to help inmates overcome addiction.
- Domestic Violence Counseling: Many inmates have experienced domestic violence. Counseling services address their unique needs.
- Counseling for Victims of Sexual Violence Abuse: Gloria McDonald is dedicated to supporting women who have experienced sexual violence, offering counseling and a safe space to heal.
Creative Expression and Life Skills
To promote personal growth and self-expression, the facility offers:
- Creative Writing and Creative Arts Workshops: Inmates can explore their creative talents through writing and arts workshops.
- Parenting Courses: For incarcerated mothers, parenting courses help them develop the skills needed to reconnect with their children.
- Re-entry Programming: Preparing inmates for life after incarceration is vital. Gloria McDonald’s re-entry programs help inmates transition back into society.
While inmates at Gloria McDonald Awaiting Trial Maximum and Medium Security Facility can communicate with the outside world, there are specific guidelines in place.
The facility does not allow friends and family members to order or send books, magazines, and newspapers to the inmate. All publications must be ordered by the inmate and paid for using the money in their trust fund account.
Visiting Hours and Contact Information
For those looking to visit an inmate at Gloria McDonald, it’s essential to be aware of the visiting hours and contact details.
Visitation at Gloria McDonald Awaiting Trial Maximum and Medium Security Facility is based on the inmate’s housing unit. To view the current schedule in .pdf format, please refer to the official website.
- Physical Address: Gloria McDonald Awaiting Trial Maximum and Medium Security Facility, 15 Fleming Road, Cranston, RI 02920.
- Telephone: For inquiries, you can reach the facility at (401)-462-2366.
- Inmate Mailing Address: When sending mail to an inmate, ensure it includes their name and ID number, followed by Gloria McDonald Awaiting Trial Maximum and Medium Security Facility, P.O. Box 8312, Cranston, Rhode Island 02920.
Gloria McDonald Correctional Facility stands as a beacon of hope and rehabilitation for female inmates in Cranston, Rhode Island. Through its diverse programs and dedicated staff, it seeks to empower women, equipping them with the skills and support they need to turn their lives around.
- Can family members send books to inmates at Gloria McDonald?
- No, the facility does not allow family members to send books. Inmates must order publications themselves.
- What educational opportunities are available to inmates?
- Inmates can access adult basic education, GED, college courses, and computer classes.
- Are there counseling services for inmates who have experienced domestic violence?
- Yes, Gloria McDonald offers counseling for women who are victims of domestic violence.
- How can I find the visiting hours for a specific inmate?
- Visiting hours are based on the inmate’s housing unit. Refer to the official website for the current schedule.
- What is the goal of the re-entry programming at Gloria McDonald?
- Re-entry programming prepares inmates for a successful transition back into society, offering essential life skills and support.