Exploring Jameson Annex: A Closer Look at South Dakota’s Mixed Custody Facility
In the realm of correctional facilities, each establishment carries its unique identity and purpose. Jameson Annex, situated within the South Dakota State Penitentiary, stands as a testament to the complex nature of inmate housing and rehabilitation. In this article, we will delve into the intricacies of Jameson Annex, its diverse units, and the services it provides to its inmates.
Introduction to Jameson Annex
Jameson Annex is a mixed custody facility that operates in conjunction with the South Dakota Department of Corrections. It plays a crucial role in the state’s efforts to house, rehabilitate, and classify inmates effectively. Comprising four distinct units, Jameson Annex accommodates a diverse range of offenders.
The Units of Jameson Annex
- Unit A – Maximum Custody:
- Located inside the secure perimeter.
- Houses inmates requiring the highest level of security.
- Visitation is strictly by appointment.
- Unit B – Maximum Custody:
- Another maximum security unit within the perimeter.
- Houses high-risk offenders.
- Visitation hours specified.
- Unit C – Minimum Custody:
- Situated just outside the perimeter fence.
- Houses minimum security inmates.
- Inmates perform supportive roles, including custodial and kitchen work.
- Unit D – Maximum Custody:
- Part of the secure perimeter.
- Similar to Units A and B in terms of security.
Inmate Capacity and Services
Jameson Annex has a capacity to house approximately 745 inmates. Beyond mere incarceration, the facility offers a range of services aimed at rehabilitation:
- Education and Literacy: Offenders can access literacy classes, adult basic education, and GED courses.
- Substance Abuse Treatment: The facility provides programs to address substance abuse issues.
- Mental Health Services: Inmates receive mental health support to address various needs.
- Medical and Dental Care: Comprehensive healthcare services are available to ensure the well-being of inmates.
Visiting Hours at Jameson Annex
Visitation at Jameson Annex is contingent upon the unit in which the inmate is housed. Understanding the visitation schedule is crucial for those wishing to connect with incarcerated loved ones.
General Population (Units B & D)
- Monday through Friday: 5:20 pm – 8:30 pm
- Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays: 12:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Minimum Custody (Unit C)
- Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays: 5:15 pm – 8:15 pm
- Saturdays, Sundays, and Holidays:
- Morning: 8:00 am – 11:00 am
- Afternoon: 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
- C unit inmates can have a maximum of three visits each week.
Administrative Segregation (Unit A)
- Visits are by appointment only.
- Two visits per week and one visit per month on the weekend.
- Various periods throughout the week and weekend are allocated for visits.
Disciplinary Segregation (Unit A)
- Visits are by scheduled appointment only.
- Offenders are allowed one visit per week, with no visits on weekends or holidays.
- Specific visitation periods are provided during weekdays.
Mental Health (Unit A)
- Visits are by appointment only.
- Offenders are allowed one visit per each person on the visiting list per month.
- Visits occur on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
Capital Punishment Housing (Unit A)
- Visits must be scheduled and are subject to restrictions.
- Death row inmates are only allowed visits from immediate family members.
- Specific visitation periods are provided.
For those seeking to get in touch with Jameson Annex, here is the necessary contact information:
- Physical Address: Jameson Annex 1600 North Drive Sioux Falls, SD 57117
- Telephone: (605)-367-5120
- Inmate Mailing Address: Inmate Name, ID Number Jameson Annex P.O. Box 5911 Sioux Falls, SD 57117
Jameson Annex serves as a critical component of South Dakota’s correctional system, providing secure housing and rehabilitation services for a diverse range of inmates. By understanding its units, services, and visitation policies, we can gain insights into the complexities of inmate management.
- What is the purpose of Jameson Annex?
- Jameson Annex is a mixed custody facility that houses, classifies, and rehabilitates inmates within the South Dakota Department of Corrections.
- How many units are there at Jameson Annex?
- Jameson Annex comprises four units: A, B, C, and D, each with its own security classification.
- What services are offered to inmates at Jameson Annex?
- Inmates have access to education, substance abuse treatment, mental health support, and medical and dental care.
- How can I visit an inmate at Jameson Annex?
- Visitation depends on the unit, and appointments may be required. Refer to the provided schedule for details.
- Is there a limit to the number of visits an inmate can receive in a week?
- Yes, there are visitation limits, especially for inmates in the minimum custody unit. Please review the article for specific details.