Exploring the Montford Unit: A Closer Look at the John Montford Psychiatric Facility
In the vast landscape of Texas, nestled within 1,304 acres, lies the Montford Unit, a unique correctional facility known for its specialization in housing offenders requiring mental health and medical treatment. Often referred to as Montford Psychiatric Facility, this institution plays a crucial role in the rehabilitation and care of individuals within the criminal justice system. In this article, we’ll delve into the intricate details of the Montford Unit, its facilities, programs, and its mission to provide comprehensive support to its inmates.
A Place for Healing
The Montford Unit is situated in Lubbock, Texas, and stands as a beacon of hope for individuals who find themselves at the intersection of incarceration and mental health challenges. With a capacity to house 1,074 male inmates, this facility is unique in its approach to addressing the needs of those who require psychiatric care, medical attention, and rehabilitation.
Specialized Inmate Housing
Inmate housing at the Montford Unit is diverse, catering to the specific requirements of its occupants. The facility offers multiple occupancy cells that can house up to four inmates, double bunked cells for shared accommodation, and single cells for those who need individualized attention.
For offenders in the Trusty Camp, there are four dormitory-styled housing units, each accommodating up to 100 inmates. This section of the facility provides a structured environment for those who have earned the trust to engage in supportive tasks such as maintenance, kitchen duties, and laundry work, contributing to the overall functioning of the unit.
Maintaining security within a correctional facility is paramount. The Montford Unit ensures this through armed perimeter patrols and a formidable double chain-link fence, complete with razor ribbon wire, protecting the 27-acre main area of the facility. These measures ensure a secure environment for both inmates and staff.
Programs for Rehabilitation and Growth
One of the key aspects of the Montford Unit’s mission is the rehabilitation and reintegration of its inmates into society. To achieve this, the facility offers a range of educational and support programs.
Inmates at Montford Unit have access to various educational programs, including adult basic education and literacy courses. Additionally, there are pre-release programs that equip inmates with essential skills and knowledge as they prepare for their eventual discharge.
Preparing for Employment
The path to successful reintegration often begins with gainful employment. Montford Unit recognizes this and offers employment preparation services, which include resume-building and job search skills. These services pave the way for inmates to secure employment upon release, reducing the likelihood of reoffending.
In addition to academic and vocational opportunities, the facility provides parenting courses, life skills classes, and substance abuse education. Support groups are also available for those in need, fostering personal growth and emotional well-being.
The Montford Unit extends its reach beyond its walls by allowing select inmates to provide supervised labor to local organizations such as food banks, the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife, and the Department of Transportation. This not only benefits the community but also empowers inmates with a sense of purpose and responsibility.
For those interested in agriculture, Montford Unit offers on-site agricultural operations, including farming and regional pest control. Inmates can participate in these programs, gaining valuable skills and contributing to the facility’s self-sustainability.
Visitation and Contact Information
Maintaining connections with loved ones is vital for the well-being of inmates. Montford Unit understands this need and facilitates visitation with the following details:
- Saturdays and Sundays from 8am to 5pm
Visitors can bring up to twenty dollars in quarters, neatly contained in a clear Ziploc bag, to purchase items from vending machines during their visit. Regular visits last for up to two hours, depending on space and availability.
- Montford Unit
- 8602 Peach Street
- Lubbock, TX 79404
- (806)-745-1021 (090)
Inmate Mailing Address:
- Inmate Name, TDCJ ID Number
- Montford Unit
- 8602 Peach Street
- Lubbock, TX 79404
The Montford Unit, or the John Montford Psychiatric Facility, stands as a remarkable institution dedicated to the rehabilitation, care, and support of individuals within the criminal justice system. Through a combination of specialized facilities, educational programs, and community engagement, it strives to provide inmates with a chance for personal growth and successful reintegration into society.
- Is the Montford Unit open to all inmates, or are there specific criteria for admission?
- The Montford Unit primarily serves male inmates who require mental health and medical treatment. Admission is based on individual assessment and need.
- Are inmates allowed to receive visitors from out of state?
- Yes, inmates at Montford Unit can receive visitors from out of state, but it’s essential to check with the facility for specific visitation guidelines and requirements.
- What are the employment opportunities for inmates after completing the programs at Montford Unit?
- The facility offers employment preparation services, including resume building and job search skills, to help inmates secure employment upon release.
- How does Montford Unit contribute to the community through its inmate labor programs?
- Inmates at Montford Unit provide supervised labor to local organizations, supporting initiatives such as food banks, wildlife conservation, and transportation projects.
- Can inmates participate in agricultural programs regardless of their prior experience?
- Yes, Montford Unit’s agricultural programs are open to inmates of varying levels of experience, providing opportunities for skill development and engagement.