SCI Retreat: A Closer Look at Retreat State Correctional Institution
In the heart of Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania, stands Retreat State Correctional Institution, a medium-security prison that plays a pivotal role in the state’s correctional system. This comprehensive article delves into the depths of SCI Retreat, offering an in-depth look at its facilities, programs, and more.
Introduction to SCI Retreat
Located in picturesque Hunlock Creek, SCI Retreat is a facility designed to house approximately 1,120 adult male offenders. It comprises 22 distinct buildings, with eight dedicated to housing units. Within these units, you’ll find a mix of dormitory-style accommodations and multiple-occupancy cells, reflecting the institution’s commitment to diverse housing options.
The Correctional Industries Program
One of the standout features of SCI Retreat is its active participation in the Correctional Industries program. This initiative includes a large-scale laundry facility that processes laundry not only for the institution itself but also for state hospitals and various other correctional facilities. In addition to laundry services, inmates have the opportunity to engage in meaningful work through the Community Work Program.
Education and Vocational Training
SCI Retreat recognizes the importance of providing inmates with the tools they need for a better future. To this end, the institution offers a range of educational opportunities, including the chance to earn a GED and attend literacy classes. Beyond academics, vocational training programs cover essential skills such as carpentry, electrical wiring, plumbing, painting, machining, cooking, baking, and refrigeration.
Holistic Offender Programming
Addressing the multifaceted needs of inmates is a priority at SCI Retreat. The institution offers a comprehensive range of programs tailored to offenders’ specific circumstances. These include mental health treatment, sex offender treatment, alcohol and substance abuse treatment, parenting classes, violence prevention, and re-entry programs.
Visiting SCI Retreat
For loved ones and friends seeking to visit inmates at SCI Retreat, it’s essential to note the visiting hours and address:
- Visitation hours: Mondays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm.
- Physical Address: Retreat State Correctional Institution, 660 State Route 11, Hunlock Creek, PA 18621.
- Telephone: (570)-735-8754.
If you wish to send mail to an inmate at SCI Retreat, please use the following format for the mailing address:
Inmate Name, ID Number
660 State Route 11
Hunlock Creek, PA 18621
In conclusion, SCI Retreat serves as a significant institution within Pennsylvania’s correctional system. Its commitment to providing a variety of programs, vocational training, and a safe environment for inmates is commendable. Moreover, its role in the Correctional Industries program adds a layer of meaningful work for those in its care.
If you have further inquiries or need to reach out to SCI Retreat, their contact information is provided above.
1. How can I schedule a visit to SCI Retreat? To schedule a visit, you can contact the institution at (570)-735-8754 and inquire about available visiting hours and requirements.
2. What educational opportunities are available at SCI Retreat? Inmates at SCI Retreat have access to GED programs, literacy classes, and various vocational training options.
3. Are there any restrictions on inmate mail at SCI Retreat? Yes, there are certain restrictions on what can be included in inmate mail. It’s essential to review the institution’s guidelines before sending any correspondence.
4. What is the significance of the Correctional Industries program at SCI Retreat? The program not only provides meaningful work for inmates but also supports laundry processing for state hospitals and other correctional facilities.
5. Can inmates participate in both vocational training and offender programming at SCI Retreat? Yes, inmates can engage in both vocational training and offender programming to address various aspects of their rehabilitation and reintegration into society.