Exploring the Rose M. Singer Center: A Closer Look at Rikers Island’s Female Jail
Welcome to the Rose M. Singer Center, a unique facility nestled on Rikers Island in East Elmhurst, New York. In this comprehensive article, we will delve into the key aspects of this facility, shedding light on its purpose, capacity, visiting hours, and more. Join us on this journey to gain a deeper understanding of an institution that plays a crucial role in the criminal justice system.
Understanding Rose M. Singer Center
The Rose M. Singer Center serves as a jail exclusively for female inmates. What sets it apart is the presence of a twenty-five-bed baby nursery, emphasizing the facility’s commitment to providing care even in the most challenging circumstances. Let’s explore further.
Capacity and Inmate Population
As of the latest statistics, the Rose M. Singer Center has the capacity to house up to 2,017 inmates. These individuals find themselves here for various reasons, typically short-term stays while they await trial or serve jail sentences of less than one year.
Life Inside Rose M. Singer Center
Life behind bars can be daunting, but the Rose M. Singer Center strives to provide basic amenities and medical care to its inmates. However, due to the brief duration of their stay, there are limited programs available for rehabilitation and skill development.
Visiting Your Loved Ones
For family and friends eager to visit their incarcerated loved ones, it’s essential to understand the visiting hours and registration process.
Visiting at the Rose M. Singer Center is organized based on the first letter of the inmate’s last name. Here’s a breakdown of the schedule:
- Wednesday and Thursday: Visitation registration occurs between 1 pm and 8 pm, with visits extending until 9 pm.
- Friday, Saturday, and Sunday: Visitation is open from 8 am to 4 pm, and registration for visiting is from 7 am to 2 pm.
It’s important to note that no visits are allowed on Mondays or Tuesdays. For the most up-to-date visiting schedule, it’s advisable to check the official source.
In case you need to get in touch with the Rose M. Singer Center, here are the essential details:
- Physical Address: Rose M. Singer Center, 19-19 Hazen Street, East Elmhurst, NY 11370
- Telephone: (718)-546-7420
- Inmate Mailing Address: Inmate Name, ID Number, Rose M. Singer Center, 19-19 Hazen Street, East Elmhurst, NY 11370
The Rose M. Singer Center plays a vital role in the criminal justice system, providing a unique and essential service to female inmates. While their stay may be short, the facility aims to provide a safe and supportive environment. Understanding the visiting hours and registration process is crucial for those who wish to connect with their incarcerated loved ones.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I visit an inmate at the Rose M. Singer Center on Mondays or Tuesdays?
- No, visiting is not allowed on Mondays or Tuesdays. Visitation is scheduled for Wednesday through Sunday.
- What are the registration hours for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday visits?
- Registration for visiting on these days is from 7 am to 2 pm, with visiting hours extending from 8 am to 4 pm.
- How many inmates can the Rose M. Singer Center accommodate?
- The facility can house up to 2,017 inmates.
- Is there any special accommodation for female inmates with infants?
- Yes, the Rose M. Singer Center has a twenty-five-bed baby nursery to support mothers and their infants.
- What programs are available for inmates during their stay at the Rose M. Singer Center?
- Due to the short-term nature of their stay, there are limited programs available, but basic amenities and medical care are provided.