SCI Smithfield: A Closer Look at Smithfield State Correctional Institution
In the heart of Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, stands the Smithfield State Correctional Institution, a facility that plays a pivotal role in the state’s correctional system. In this article, we will delve into the details of SCI Smithfield, exploring its unique programs, facilities, and services provided to inmates and their families.
An Overview of SCI Smithfield
- Location and Capacity: Smithfield State Correctional Institution is strategically located in Huntingdon, Pennsylvania. It operates as a close-custody prison and has the capacity to house up to 1,380 adult male offenders.
- Facility Layout: The institution consists of twenty-two buildings, with eleven dedicated to housing units for inmates. Inmates at SCI Smithfield are accommodated in single cells or multiple-occupancy cells, depending on their security requirements.
- Correctional Industries Program: A unique aspect of SCI Smithfield is its “Correctional Industries Program,” which operates a garment factory employing up to 50 inmates. This program aims to provide vocational skills and employment opportunities to incarcerated individuals.
- The Puppy Program: Another distinctive feature of SCI Smithfield is the “Puppy Program.” In this initiative, offenders are paired with dogs that they help train to become service animals. This not only benefits the community but also offers inmates a chance at rehabilitation through animal therapy.
- Education Opportunities: SCI Smithfield places a strong emphasis on education. Inmates without a high school diploma are encouraged to enroll in adult basic education courses to earn their GED. Additionally, vocational training is available in various construction trades, custodial maintenance, and barbering.
- Rehabilitation Programs: The institution offers a range of rehabilitation programs, including alcohol and substance abuse treatment, sex offender treatment, violence prevention, and parenting courses. These programs are designed to address the underlying issues that may have contributed to an inmate’s incarceration.
Visiting SCI Smithfield
Visitation is an essential part of an inmate’s life at SCI Smithfield. Here are the details you need to know:
- Visiting Hours: Visitors are welcome on Mondays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 8:30 am to 3:30 pm. These designated hours allow families and friends to connect with their loved ones.
- Financial Considerations: Visitors can bring a small, clear Ziploc bag containing up to $50 in coins and small bills (either $1’s or $5’s) to use in the vending machines within the visiting room.
Should you need to reach out to SCI Smithfield for any reason, here’s the essential contact information:
- Physical Address: Smithfield State Correctional Institution 1120 Pike Street Huntingdon, PA 16652
- Telephone: (814)-643-6520
- Inmate Mailing Address: Inmate Name, ID Number SCI Smithfield P.O. Box 999 Huntingdon, PA 16652
In conclusion, Smithfield State Correctional Institution plays a vital role in the rehabilitation and reintegration of incarcerated individuals. With its unique programs, educational opportunities, and rehabilitation initiatives, SCI Smithfield strives to provide inmates with the skills and support they need to successfully reintegrate into society. Additionally, the institution fosters connections with family and friends through its visiting hours, recognizing the importance of maintaining these bonds during incarceration.
For more information about Smithfield State Correctional Institution and its programs, please visit their official website or contact them using the provided contact information.
1. Can anyone visit an inmate at SCI Smithfield?
Yes, visitors are welcome during designated visiting hours. However, there may be specific visitation rules and requirements, so it’s advisable to check with the institution beforehand.
2. How does the Puppy Program benefit inmates?
The Puppy Program offers inmates the opportunity to gain valuable skills in animal training and care. It also provides emotional support and a sense of purpose during their incarceration.
3. What vocational training programs are available at SCI Smithfield?
SCI Smithfield offers vocational training in construction trades, custodial maintenance, and barbering, providing inmates with valuable skills for future employment.
4. Are rehabilitation programs mandatory for all inmates at SCI Smithfield?
Participation in rehabilitation programs may vary based on an inmate’s specific needs and circumstances. However, these programs are encouraged for those who can benefit from them.
5. How can I stay updated on news and events related to SCI Smithfield?
For the latest news and updates, you can visit the official website of SCI Smithfield or contact them directly using the provided contact information.