Exploring the Wallace Pack Unit: A Closer Look at a Medium Security Prison in Navasota, Texas
When it comes to correctional facilities, each one has its own unique history, purpose, and operational procedures. In this article, we will delve into the Wallace Pack Unit, often referred to simply as ‘Pack Unit.’ Located just outside the city limits of Navasota, Texas, this medium security prison plays a crucial role in the state’s penal system. Let’s take a closer look at what makes the Pack Unit distinctive and how it functions.
Understanding the Basics
1. Location and Size
Pack Unit is situated in Grimes County, Texas, and shares over 7,000 acres of land with the Luther Unit. This sprawling complex houses approximately 1,157 offenders in the main unit, with an additional 321 inmates in the Trusty Camp.
2. Offender Demographics
The inmates at Pack Unit vary in security levels, ranging from G1 to G3. Their ages span from 22 to 85 years old. On average, an inmate serves a sentence of nine years at this facility.
3. Facility Structure
Pack Unit consists of 23 housing units and a segregation unit, each serving its specific purpose within the prison’s operational framework.
A Tribute to Wallace Pack
The prison’s name, “Pack Unit,” is a tribute to Wallace Pack, a former Warden of Ellis Unit. Tragically, Wallace Pack lost his life in 1981 when he was brutally drowned in a drainage ditch by a prisoner. His legacy lives on through this institution.
Services and Programs
4. Medical and Mental Health Care
Pack Unit provides off-site medical, mental health, and dental services to its inmates. The facility boasts a twelve-bed infirmary and a wheelchair-accessible unit. Specialized care is also available for geriatric inmates.
5. Education Opportunities
Inmates at Pack Unit are not just confined to their cells. They have access to educational programs, including adult basic education and literacy. Furthermore, inmates are given the opportunity to earn a GED during their incarceration.
6. Vocational Training
Pack Unit offers vocational programs, teaching skills in carpentry and hospitality/tourism. This empowers inmates to learn a new trade and acquire skills that can benefit them upon release.
7. Inmate Labor Force
Select inmates at Pack Unit are part of a supervised labor force. They contribute their skills and efforts to the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife and local government agencies.
8. Diverse Work Assignments
In addition to vocational training, inmates may be assigned to various work details, including facility maintenance, surplus warehousing, farming edible crops, a cow/calf operation, grain storage, and pork production. The prison even operates a buffalo ranch and provides opportunities for inmates to care for security horses and canines.
Visiting Pack Unit
9. Visiting Hours
For friends and family looking to visit inmates at Pack Unit, the prison holds visitation hours on Saturdays and Sundays from 8 am to 5 pm. Each inmate is permitted a single visit each weekend. Visitors are allowed to bring a small clear plastic bag containing up to $20 in quarters.
10. Physical Address
If you need to physically visit or send mail to Pack Unit, the address is as follows:
Wallace Pack Unit 2400 Wallace Pack Road Navasota, TX 77868
For inquiries and general information, you can reach Pack Unit at (936)-825-3728 (**026).
12. Inmate Mailing Address
When sending mail to an inmate at Pack Unit, make sure to format it as follows:
Inmate Name, ID Number Wallace Pack Unit 2400 Wallace Pack Road Navasota, TX 77868
In conclusion, the Wallace Pack Unit stands as a significant component of the Texas penal system. Its diverse range of services, educational programs, and vocational training opportunities aim to rehabilitate inmates and prepare them for a successful reintegration into society upon their release. While the history of this institution bears the tragic loss of Warden Wallace Pack, the facility continues to play a vital role in the state’s correctional efforts.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can inmates at Pack Unit receive visitors on weekdays?
- No, visitation is limited to Saturdays and Sundays.
2. What is the purpose of the Trusty Camp at Pack Unit?
- The Trusty Camp accommodates an additional 321 inmates and provides a structured environment for certain inmates who have earned trust and privileges.
3. Are there any special provisions for elderly inmates at Pack Unit?
- Yes, Pack Unit offers services tailored to the needs of geriatric inmates, including medical care and accessibility accommodations.
4. How can inmates at Pack Unit apply for vocational training?
- Inmates can express their interest in vocational programs, and eligibility is determined based on various factors, including behavior and sentence duration.
5. Is Pack Unit involved in any community outreach or rehabilitation programs?
- Pack Unit provides a supervised labor force for the Texas Department of Parks and Wildlife and local government agencies, contributing to community development and rehabilitation efforts.